Sigma Tau Delta
Sigma Tau Delta is the International English Honor Society. A member of the Association of College Honor Societies. It was founded in 1924 at Dakota Wesleyan University. The Merrimack Chapter, Alpha Tau Xi, was chartered in the spring of 2013, inducting 22 students at the College’s first annual induction ceremony and reception, held April 18. Current chapter advisor Dr. Ellen McWhorter observes that membership in the society provides students with access “to scholarship and award opportunities, regional and national conferences, internship possibilities, and publication opportunities. And, because membership in Sigma Tau Delta is by invitation only, there’s the element of prestige that can help students strengthen their resumes.”
The Society strives to
- Confer distinction for high achievement in English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies;
- Provide, through its local chapters, cultural stimulation on college campuses and promote interest in literature and the English language in surrounding communities;
- Foster all aspects of the discipline of English, including literature, language, and writing;
- Promote exemplary character and good fellowship among its members;
- Exhibit high standards of academic excellence; and
- Serve society by fostering literacy.
With over 800 active chapters located in the United States, Europe, the Middle East, and the Caribbean, there are more than 1,000 Faculty Sponsors, and approximately 9,000 members inducted annually.
Sigma Tau Delta’s central purpose is to confer distinction upon students of the English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies. Sigma Tau Delta also recognizes the accomplishments of professional writers who have contributed to the fields of language and literature.
The English Department presents its seventh issue of The Broadsheet!
The Annual English Awards Ceremony and Reception was held on Thursday, April 24, at the Writers House. Among those honored were the winners of this year’s Aherne Poetry Prize and new inductees into Sigma Tau Delta, the national English Honor Society. Guest speakers included Jennifer Hanselman, class of 2013, and poet Colleen Michaels of the Monserrat College of Art.
The English Department presents its sixth issue of The Broadsheet!