- We believe a thriving global community requires citizens with expertise and knowledge in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
- We believe we must empower the next generation with effective STEM education.
- We believe that STEM Matters!
To develop programs and initiatives that will establish the School of Science and Engineering at Merrimack College as a nationally recognized center of excellence in STEM education.
Areas of Focus:
1. Facilitate Excellence in Undergraduate and Graduate STEM education.
The center develops external resources to support School initiatives. It facilitates:
- the development of new undergraduate and graduate programs,
- experiential student learning opportunities,
- faculty professional and scholarly development.
2. Foster STEM Professional Development for Educators (Teaching the Teachers).
The School of Science and Engineering, in collaboration with our School of Education, offers a unique cutting-edge STEM Education Major which prepares undergrads to be competent and effective elementary school teachers across the math and science curriculum. In addition, STEM majors can obtain middle and secondary Massachusetts licensure.
3. Inspire and Engage Future STEM Leaders via K-12 Outreach
Merrimack College has long been a leader and active participant across the STEM spectrum, from training the scientists, engineers and entrepreneurs of tomorrow through its School of Science and Engineering, to investing in the STEM education pipeline through direct programmatic intervention in the schools. Our outreach programs include the Lawrence Math Science Partnership with 200+ Lawrence middle school participants, Thinkfest: a STEM Festival!, and the YMCA Active Science Program.