Welcome to the Department of Biology!
Merrimack’s Biology Major provides a comprehensive, interdisciplinary education in the biological and life sciences.
The degree program offers students a wide range of opportunities to explore biology, versatility in the breadth of study and a student-centered focus. We are a growing and dynamic Department preparing students to successfully meet the challenges and opportunities of this new century. Our vision is to offer a nationally recognized undergraduate program in Biology within the context of a strong liberal arts education.
A Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Biology is offered, with concentrations in:
- Cell and Molecular Biology and Biotechnology,
- Integrative Biology (including Pre-Med/Pre-Dent/Pre-Vet), and
- Ecology and Environment.
Students may also minor in a field that complements their studies in Biology, such as Chemistry, Mathematics, Computer Science, Psychology, Sociology, Environmental Studies and Sustainability or Business. Individual advisement assists students with course selection, course sequencing and career planning.
Come and Explore ‘Life’ at Merrimack College!
- A strong inquiry-based curriculum with breadth and depth in the life sciences and with multidisciplinary support in Chemistry, Physics and Mathematics
- Outstanding faculty expertise in research, real-world applications, publications and education across the diverse areas of biology
- Small classes, especially in labs and upper level courses where students really get to know their professors in their multiple roles as teachers, research mentors and academic advisors
- High quality curricular and co-curricular programs including Senior
Thesis Research; Internships; Cooperative Programs; Global Field Studies; the Marine Studies Consortium; Summer Undergraduate Research Program; and a campus chapter of Sigma Xi
- Opportunities for experiential learning that provide students with real world application of knowledge and skills obtained from course work and to develop new knowledge base and skill sets in life sciences
“Welcome to the Department of Biology at Merrimack College. What a great time to study and become a biologist! In our small and hands-on classes, we get to know you, and through our integrated curriculum, we challenge you to read, write, talk about, think critically about, and most importantly do biological science. Merrimack offers you a wide range of options in your pursuit of becoming a biologist. Our interdisciplinary biotechnology program provides you with a comprehensive exposure to molecular/cell biology, gene discovery, bioinformatics, molecular modeling, and drug design and synthesis, readying you for careers in the Boston “Gene-Town” biotechnology industry, graduate programs, and beyond. Our integrative biology concentration primes you for more medically-oriented careers (e.g., physician, physician’s assistant, veterinarian, nursing, pharmacy), providing wide experience in physiology, biochemistry, development/reproduction, immunology, and more. Our concentration in ecology, environment and behavior offers you hands-on and field-based experiences in ecology, evolution, global field studies, animal behavior, marine biology and conservation and restoration biology. Our EPA, NSF, and NIH grant award winning faculty and staff are devoted to your individual development as developing scholars, biologists, scientists, and citizens. Check out our website and please come for a visit to our Department, and we will personally show you how much we have to offer!”
- Jon Lyon, Ph.D. Professor and Chair
For More Information Please Contact: