Together for Good
Skip to main content area Skip to main navigation Skip to institutional navigation Skip to footer

Financial Aid


On Campus Employment FAQ’s

When and where can I look for a job?

Because we have students from all over the world and the availability of jobs is limited, students may begin their job search once they arrive on campus in the fall. A listing of on campus jobs will be available on the Advantage system through myMack/Career Services.  Students may search for any position they feel they may be qualified for.

How many hours can I work?

That will depend on your academic schedule and the needs of the department you are working in. Most students work about 10 hours per week. No student should be working more than 20 hours per week during the academic year. Students are not paid overtime, holiday or unemployment benefits. Academics are your priority and if you need to reduce your hours you may talk with your supervisor.

Can I have more than one job?

Because jobs are limited, we encourage departments to hire as many individuals as possible thereby sharing the load. Some positions however, require special qualifications. For instance, many of the tutoring positions require special training or job knowledge. A student may work in the Library for a few hours a week and then, because of their particular skills, work as a math tutor as well. The goal however, is to hire as many qualified candidates as possible.

What documents do I need for student employment?

You will need a copy of your Social Security Card and a photo ID such as your driver’s license or passport.

My driver’s license has my social security number on it, do I still need a copy of my Social Security Card?


Are there any other forms to complete?

Yes, you will be required to complete an I-9 Department of Justice Employment Eligibility Verification form, a W-4 Employee Withholding Allowance Certificate and a Direct Deposit form. You may download these forms from MyMack.

What is the Merrimack College Student Employment Authorization Request Form?

The information on this form tells the payroll office which employment fund you will be paid from, your hourly rate of pay, and where you have been authorized to work. Your hiring supervisor will complete this form and send it to the Student Employment Office (located in Austin Hall room 15b) where your eligibility to work will be determined. This form will be sent to the Payroll Office.

Where is the Student Employment Office located?

The office is located within the Office of Financial Aid, 1st floor Austin Hall right next to the Registrar. The normal business hours are Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. The Student Employment Office can determine your eligibility for federal or college employment, monitor your financial aid eligibility and answer any questions or help you with the paid Community Service Program.

Where is the career center located?

The O’Brien Center for Student Success is located on the second floor of the Sakowich Campus Center with office hours Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. They will help you with off-campus job availability, identify your strengths, assist you with career development strategies/resume writing/co-op opportunities/off-campus job opportunities, job fairs and the world of networking.

Where can I find a listing of on campus opportunities?

A listing of on-campus employment opportunities will made available on the Advantage system