Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the Writing Center?
The Writing Center is located on the third floor of McQuade Library, Room 320—between the Alden computer classroom and the Mathematics Resource Center.
When is the Writing Center open?
Drop-in hours are from 11 AM to 3 PM Monday-Thursday, 6 to 9 PM Sunday-Thursday
Who staffs the Writing Center?
- Writing faculty
- Professional tutors
- Peer tutors from a number of disciplines
- Peer tutors who are fluent in languages other than English, including Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Luganda, and Spanish
- Writing fellows assigned to specific courses
What resources can be found in the Writing Center?
- Guides for writing academic papers
- Guides for grammar and usage
- Handbooks for writing in different disciplines
- Guides for non-native English speakers
- Computers for conducting electronic research
What can the Writing Center do for you?
The Writing Center can help you to grow more independent and confident in your academic, personal, and professional writing. You do not need to bring a completed draft before visiting the center. You can get help in such areas as:
- Interpreting assignments
- Choosing topics
- Organizing writing projects
- Solving specific writing problems, from getting started to editing/proofreading
- Developing effective revision strategies
- Learning to use critical reading as a means to perceptive writing
- Developing research abilities
- Creating your individual writing style
- Managing group writing projects
- Developing Power Point presentations
- Developing skills in written English if English is not your first language