International Assistant Requirements and Responsibilities:
An International Assistant is a Merrimack student that has volunteered their time to helping international students by being a resource for them when needed. IAs come from all majors and have a variety of extracurricular experience. Many of our IAs have studied internationally or are international students themselves so they understand the culture shock involved in studying internationally. They are trained on the various needs that international students may have and how to best be a friend, resource, and bearer of culture. IAs are assigned one or two international students to mentor throughout the school year. Students wishing to be International Assistants must be a Merrimack student for a least one semester with a cumulative GPA of 2.5. The following is a list of responsibilities that IAs must fulfill:
- Participation in Fall and Spring International Student Orientation.
- Participation in Fall International Student Orientation includes being part of the New Student Orientation team.
- Attendance includes training meetings the semester prior to Orientation.
- Participation in Spring International Student Orientation (January 16th-20th), beginning with a mandatory training session on Monday December 9th from 6:30-8:30. This also requires that you are able to come back onto campus on January 15th.
- Commitment to connecting with your international student(s) at least once every week to ensure their transition to Merrimack is as smooth as possible.
- Meeting biweekly with the Graduate Fellow of International Programs to share how their students are doing and to reflect on their work with international students.
- Attending social and cultural events organized by Senior International Assistants with their international students.