Skip to main content area Skip to main navigation Skip to institutional navigation Skip to footer

International Programs

Travel, Health & Safety


The safety and welfare of our study abroad students is our top priority. Please review this page as well as the Merrimack College handbook for study abroad.

Medical Coverage

Merrimack students are automatically enrolled with HTH Worldwide Insurance Services. HTH provides worldwide medical coverage for registered Merrimack College students while traveling and living outside the United States.

Travel Documents

Students need to have a valid passport in order to study abroad. If needed, your study abroad advisor will inform you how to obtain an entry visa or student residency permit. In some cases we help handle visa applications, and in other cases we provide information on where to obtain a visa to study abroad. For general information on document requirements and visa application procedures, please visit the U.S. Bureau of Consular Affairs
Special provisions may apply to international students or non-U.S. citizens going abroad. Please check with the respective Consulate General of Embassy of the country where your passport is issued.

Security Updates

The Office of International Programs regularly monitors U.S. State Department travel warnings, and recommends that students and their parents also stay informed.

Arrival Abroad

Once you have arrived at your study-abroad destination, please be sure to contact your family. In addition please provide he Office of International Programs with the address and phone number that you will be using abroad by completing the form sent by your study abroad advisor.  Also remember to check your Merrimack email address regularly for important updates while abroad.