Director, Associate Professor
Women’s and Gender Studies
Ph.D. in American Studies, University of New Mexico. Minor concentration in Clinical Counseling Psychology
Sex and Gender Studies; Global Feminist Theory; Transgender Theory; Civil and Human Rights Movements; Media Studies and Popular Culture; Southwest Studies.
Current Research and Projects:
- Conducting research for a book and filming a documentary on Evelyn Fite and ranching women and cowgirls in San Antonio, New Mexico;
- GenderVision- an educational talk show broadcast on cable television about Gender Difference and Progressive Politics (producer and co-host) http://www.gendervision.org/joomla/
Transgender Nation: The Gender Movement in the USA
University of Wisconsin Press (formerly published with Bowling Green State University Popular Press), Bowling Green Ohio, 1994, reprinted 1995, 1996, and 1997.
- From Sensationalism to Education: Media Coverage of the Murder of US Transgender Women of Color 1995-2005 with Mary Marcel, in Local Violence, Global Media: Feminist Analyses of Gendered Representations, edited by Lisa Cuklanz and Sujata Moorti , Routlege, forthcoming;
- GenderTalk: Labor of Love with Nancy Nangeroni in Pinned Down by Pronouns edited by Toni Amato and Lee Thornhill, Convinction Books, 2004;
- Historical Explanations and Rationalizations for Transgenderism in Queer Cultures edited by Deborah Carlin, and Jennifer Di Grazia, Pearson Education Inc. Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 592-622, 2004;
- Loving Beyond Our Bodies Borders: Gender Diversity and Peace invited article for The Burning Bush Gender and Sexuality Issue, Feminist News and Commentary for New Mexico, ( Albuquerque, New Mexico: Full Circle Books July/August, 2002), featured front page article in feminist newspaper;
- Performing Trans Lesbian with Nancy Nangeroni, in GenderQueer edited by Joan Nestle, Ricki Anne Wilchins, and Clare Howell, Alyson Publications, London and California, 253-260, August 2002;
- Jennifer Levi: Attorney for Gender Justice: cover article with Nancy Nangeroni in Transgender Tapestry, The Journal for the International Foundation for Gender Education (IFGE), (Waltham, MA: IFGE, summer 2002 #98), 28- 33;
- Fifty Billion Galaxies of Gender: Entering a New Century of Gender in
Reclaiming Genders: Transsexual Grammars at the Fin de Siecle edited by Kate More and Stephen Whittle, Cassell Pub, London and Washington, September, 193-219, 1999.