The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
Merrimack College will consider all students to be dependents of their parents unless the Office of the Registrar is notified to the contrary within 30 days after registration. This notification should include evidence that the student is in fact financially independent. A certified copy of the parents' most recent income tax return, other public records, etc. are acceptable for this purpose.
To whom can information be released without student consent?
The law allows disclosure without consent to:
- School employees who have a legitimate educational interest
- Other schools, upon request, in which a student is seeking or intending to enroll
- Accrediting organizations
- Organizations doing certain studies for or on behalf of the University
- Appropriate parties in connection with financial aid to a student to determine eligibility, amount or conditions of financial aid, or to enforce the terms and conditions of aid.
- Parents when a student over 18 is still a dependent (see additional information under parental rights)
- Certain government officials of the U. S. Department of Education, the Comptroller General, and and state and local educational authorities, in connection with an audit, authorized representatives of the U. S. Attorney General for law enforcement purposes or state or federally supported education programs
- Individuals who have obtained a judicial order or subpoena
- School officials who have a need to know concerning disciplinary action taken against a student
- Appropriate parties who need to know in cases of health and safety emergencies when necessary to protect the health and safety of the student and/or others
- State and local authorities, within the juvenile justice system, pursuant to specific state law
- Alleged victim of a crime of violence the results of a disciplinary proceeding with respect to that crime
- Parent or legal guardian of a student under the age of 21, information regarding any violation of university policy or state, federal or local law, governing the use or possession of alcohol or a controlled substance
- Those requesting directory information on a student provided the student has not requested his or her information be withheld.