Courtenay Dunn-Lewis, Ph.D.
Courtenay Dunn-Lewis, PhD
Department of Health Sciences
Dr. Dunn-Lewis specializes in the physiology of resistance exercise. Research includes basic science (including neurophysiology and biochemistry); evidence-based approaches to safe and effective resistance exercise programming for the advancement of health and performance; and the interface of resistance exercise with nutrition. This expertise directly impacts training strategies for all populations, from athletes to individuals of advanced age. It aids in the prevention of disorders, including osteoporosis and frailty, and promotes performance, longevity, and quality of life.
Dr. Dunn-Lewis has co-authored several textbook chapters, authored or co-authored successful grant initiatives, and presented abstracts and featured talks at both regional and national conferences. She has been awarded by several organizations, including the University of Connecticut, Johns Hopkins University, and the New England Chapter of the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM). Her publication history is included below.
Dr. Dunn-Lewis’ degrees are from the #1 nationally-ranked programs in their respective fields, including:
- B.A. Public Health, Johns Hopkins University
- M.A. Kinesiology, University of Connecticut
- Ph.D. Kinesiology, University of Connecticut
Research Philosophy: A single approach does not suit everyone
Proper program design requires more than familiarity with gym equipment; it requires the selection of appropriate assessments and a process that accounts for the unique goals and requirements of a given population or individual. Simple alterations - such as a change in the load used - dramatically impact downstream adaptations, from basic motor recruitment patterns to gene expression. Evidence-based assessment and exercise prescription should therefore not only evaluate and address the specific population, their pre-existing conditions, physical restrictions, functional requirements, connective tissues, and movement patterns; it must also address the physiology of the individual, including muscle fiber recruitment profiles and metabolic demands that are required to effectively achieve the desired goals.
- Dunn-Lewis C, Neuschwander S, Hooper DR, Comstock BA, Luk HY, Szivak TK, Hydren JR, Heavens K, Pandit AL, Looney D, Dombrowski D, Smith RA, DiStefano LJ, Denegar CR, Kraemer WJ. Influence of Resistance Load and Sex on Musculoskeletal Complaints with a Long Term Resistance Training Program in Young Untrained Men and Women. National Strength and Conditioning Association, National Conference. Providence, RI. July, 2012.
- Dunn-Lewis C and Kraemer WJ. Use of Electroencephalogram (EEG) in Studying Exercise. New England Chapter of the American College of Sports Medicine Annual Fall Conference. Rhode Island Convention Center, Providence, RI. 3 November 2011.
- Dunn-Lewis C. Frequency of Musculoskeletal Complaints with Resistance Training in Young Untrained Men and Women. New England Chapter of the American College of Sports Medicine Annual Fall Conference. Rhode Island Convention Center, Providence, RI. 3 November 2011.
- Dunn-Lewis C, Kraemer WJ, and Flanagan SD. EEG Measures of Cortical Activity Return to Baseline within 24 hours despite Differential Protocols Emphasizing Force, Power, and Volume. National Strength and Conditioning Association National Conference; Orlando, FL. July 2010.
- Deans TA and Dunn-Lewis C. Assigning, Managing, and Assessing Collaborative Writing Projects. Teaching Writing-Intensive Courses Across the Disciplines. University of Connecticut: Storrs, CT. Feb 16 2010.
- Dunn-Lewis C. Website Statistics and the Effectiveness of Your Online Image. Northeast Writing Centers Association Conference. Boston University: Boston, MA. Apr 04 2010.
Abstract Presentations Available on Request
- Kraemer WJ, Luk H-Y, Lombard JR,Dunn-Lewis C, and Volek JS. Physiological Basis for Creatine Supplementation In Skeletal Muscle. In Nutrition and Enhanced Sports Performance: Recommendations for Muscle Building. Elsevier. Ahead of Print.
- Kraemer WJ, Dunn-Lewis C, and Luk H-Y. Chapter 25: Role of Exercise in Diet and Weight Loss. In Obesity: Epidemiology, Pathophysiology, and Prevention. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press, 2013.
- Kraemer WJ, Comstock BA, Clark JE, and Dunn-Lewis C. Chapter 1: Athlete Needs Analysis. In Hoffman, Jay. NSCA’s Guide to Program Design. Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics 2012.
Publications on Dietary Supplementation
- Kraemer WJ, Volek JS, Dunn-Lewis C. L-carnitine supplementation: influence upon physiological function. Curr Sports Med Rep. Review. 7(4): 218-23. 2008.
- Ho JY, Kraemer WJ, Volek JS, Fragala MS, Thomas GA, Dunn-Lewis C, Coday M, Häkkinen K, Maresh CM. L-Carnitine L-tartrate supplementation favorably affects biochemical markers of recovery from physical exertion in middle-aged men and women. Metabolism. 59(8): 1190-9. 2010.
- Dunn-Lewis C, Kraemer WJ, Kupchak BR, Kelly NA, Creighton BA, Luk HY, Ballard KD, Comstock BA, Szivak TK, Hooper DR, Denegar CR, and Volek JS. A multi-nutrient supplement reduced markers of inflammation and improved physical performance in active individuals of middle to older age: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Nutr J. 10:90. 2011.
- Volek JS, Volk BM, Gomez AL, Kunces LJ, Kupchak BR, Freidenreich DJ, Aristizabal JC, Saenz C, Dunn-Lewis C, Ballard KD, Quann EE, Kawiecki DL, Flanagan SD, Comstock BA, Fragala MS, Earp JE, Fernandez ML, Bruno RS, Ptolemy AS, Kellogg MD, Maresh CM, Kraemer WJ. Whey Protein Supplementation During Resistance Training Augments Lean Body Mass. J Am Coll Nutr. 32(2):122-35. 2013.
- Kraemer WJ, Solomon-Hill G, Volk BM, Kupchak BR, Looney DP, Dunn-Lewis C, Comstock BA, Szivak TK, Hooper DR, Flanagan SD, Maresh CM, Volek JS. The effects of soy and whey protein supplementation on acute hormonal reponses to resistance exercise in men. J Am Coll Nutr. 32(1):66-74. 2013.
Publications on Endocrinology and Biochemistry
- Kraemer WJ, Dunn-Lewis C, Comstock BA, Thomas GA, Clark JE, Nindl BC. Growth hormone, exercise, and athletic performance: a continued evolution of complexity. Curr Sports Med Rep. 9(4): 242-52. Review. 2010.
- Thomas GA, Kraemer WJ, Comstock BA, Dunn-Lewis C, Volek JS, Denegar CR, Maresh CM. Effects of resistance exercise and obesity level on ghrelin and cortisol in men. Metabolism. 61(6): 860-8. 2012.
- Sosnoski DM, Krishnan V, Kraemer WJ, Dunn-Lewis C, and Mastro AM. 2012. Changes in Cytokines of the Bone Microenvironment during Breast Cancer Metastasis. Int J Breast Cancer. 2012:160265. 2012.
- Wolf MR, Fragala MS, Volek JS, Denegar CR, Anderson JM, Comstock BA, Dunn-Lewis C, Hooper DR, Szivak TK, Luk HY, Maresh CM, Hakkinen K, and Kraemer WJ. Sex differences in creatine kinase after acute heavy resistance exercise on circulating granulocyte estradiol receptors. Eur J Appl Physiol. 112(9): 3335-40. 2012.
- Kraemer WJ, Looney DP, Martin GJ, Ratamess NA, Vingren JL, French DN, Hatfield DL, Fragala MS, Spiering BA, Howard RL, Cortis C, Szivak TK, Comstock BA, Dunn-Lewis C, Hooper DL, Flanagan SD, Volek JS, Anderson JM, Maresh CM, Fleck SJ. Changes in Creatine Kinase and Cortisol in National Collegiate Athletic Association Division I American Football Players During a Season. J Strength Cond Res. 27(2): 434-41. 2013.
- Kraemer WJ, Fragala MS, Beijersbergen van Henegouwen WRH, Gordon SE, Bush JA, Volek JS, Triplett NT, Dunn-Lewis C, Comstock BA, Szivak TK, Flanagan SD, Hooper DR, Luk H-Y, Mastro AM. Responses of Proenkephalin Peptide F to Aerobic Exercise Stress in the Plasma and White Blood Cell Biocompartments. Peptides. 42C: 118-124. 2013.
- Szivak TK, Hooper DR, Dunn-Lewis C, Comstock BA, Kupchak BR, Apicella JM, Saenz C, Maresh CM, Denegar CR, Kraemer WJ. Adrenal cortical responses to high-intensity, short rest, resistance exercise in men and women. J Strength Cond Res.27(3):748-60. 2013.
- Creighton BC, Kupchak BR, Aristizabal JC, Flanagan SD, Dunn-Lewis C, Volk BM, Comstock BA, Volek JS, Hooper DR, Szivak TK, Maresh CM, Kraemer WJ. Influence of training on markers of platelet activation in response to a bout of heavy resistance exercise. Eur J Appl Physiol. 113(9):2203-9. 2013.
- Kupchak BR, Creighton BC, Aristizabal JC, Dunn-Lewis C, Volk BM, Ballard KD, Comstock BA, Maresh CM, Kraemer WJ, Volek JS. Beneficial effects of habitual resistance exercise training on coagulation and fibrinolytic responses. Thromb Res. 131(6):e227-34. 2013.
- Thomas GA, Kraemer WJ, Comstock BA, Dunn-Lewis C, Maresh CM, Volek JS. Obesity, Growth Hormone and Exercise. Sports Medicine. 43(9):839-49. 2013.
- Kraemer WJ, Flanagan SD, Volek JS, Nindl BC, Vingren JL, Dunn-Lewis C, Comstock BA, Hooper DR, Szivak TK, Looney DP, Maresh CM, Hymer WC. Resistance Exercise Induces Region-Specific Adaptations in Anterior Pituitary Gland Structure and Function in Rats. J Appl Physiol. 2013.
Publications on Physical Performance
- Kraemer WJ, Flanagan SD, Comstock BA, Fragala MS, Earp JE, Dunn-Lewis C, Ho JY, Thomas GA, Solomon-Hill G, Penwell ZR, Powell MD, Wolf MR, Volek JS, Denegar CR, Maresh CM. Effects of a whole body compression garment on markers of recovery after a heavy resistance workout in men and women. J Strength Cond Res. 24(3): 804-14. 2010.
- Earp JE, Kraemer WJ, Newton RU, Comstock BA, Fragala MS, Dunn-Lewis C, Solomon-Hill G, Penwell ZR, Powell MD, Volek JS, Denegar CR, Häkkinen K, Maresh CM. Lower-body muscle structure and its role in jump performance during squat, countermovement, and depth drop jumps. J Strength Cond Res. 24(3): 722-9. 2010.
- Dixon PG, Kraemer WJ, Volek JS, Howard RL, Gomez AL, Comstock BA, Dunn-Lewis C, Fragala MS, Hooper DR, Häkkinen K, Maresh CM. The impact of cold-water immersion on power production in the vertical jump and the benefits of a dynamic exercise warm-up. J Strength Cond Res. 24(12): 3313-7. 2010.
- Comstock BA, Solomon-Hill G, Flanagan SD, Earp JE, Luk HY, Dobbins KA, Dunn-Lewis C, Fragala MS, Ho JY, Hatfield DL, Vingren JL, Denegar CR, Volek JS, Kupchak BR, Maresh CM, Kraemer WJ. Validity of the Myotest® in Measuring Force and Power Production in the Squat and Bench Press. J Strength Cond Res. 25(8) 2293-2297. 2011.
- Dunn-Lewis C, Luk HY, Comstock BA, Szivak TK, Hooper DR, Kupchak BR, Watts AM, Putney BJ, Hydren JR, Volek JS, Denegar CR, and Kraemer WJ. The Effects of a Customized Over-the-Counter Mouth Guard on Neuromuscular Force and Power Production in Trained Men and Women. J Strength Cond Res. 26 (4): 1085-93. 2012.
- Hydren JR, Kraemer WJ, Volek JS, Dunn-Lewis C, Comstock BA, Szivak TK, Hooper DR, Denegar CR, Maresh CM. Performance Changes during a Weeklong High Altitude Alpine Ski Racing Training Camp in Lowlander Young Athletes. J Strength Cond Res. 27(4):924-37. 2012.
- Staub JN, Kraemer WJ, Pandit AL, Haug WB, Comstock BA, Dunn-Lewis C, Maresh CM, Volek JS, Häkkinen K. Positive Effects of Augmented Verbal Feedback on Power Production in NCAA Division 1 Collegiate Athletes. J Strength Cond Res. 27(8):2067-72. 2012.
- Hooper DR, Szivak TK, DiStefano LJ, Comstock BA, Dunn-Lewis C, Apicella JM, Kelly NA, Creighton BC, Volek JS, Maresh CM, and Kraemer WJ. Effects of Resistance Training Fatigue on Joint Biomechanics. J Strength Cond Res. 27(1):146-53. Jan 2013.
Publications on Neurophysiology
- Dunn-Lewis C, Flanagan SD, Comstock BA, Maresh CM, Volek JS, Denegar CR, Kupchak BR, and Kraemer WJ. Recovery patterns in electroencephalographic global field power during maximal isometric force production. J Strength Cond Res. 25 (10): 2818-27. 2011.
- Flanagan SD, Dunn-Lewis C, Comstock, BA, Maresh CM, Volek JS, Denegar CR, Kraemer WJ. Cortical Activity During a Highly-Trained Resistance Exercise Movement Emphasizing Force, Power or Volume. Brain Sciences. 2(4): 649-666. 2012.
Updated Sept 18, 2013.
Courses Taught at Merrimack College
- Anatomy & Physiology
- Exercise Physiology
- Exercise Program Design
Specialized Teaching Areas
- Resistance Exercise Physiology
- Neurophysiology of Exercise
- Scientific Writing and Grants
- Statistical Analysis for Exercise Science
- Center for Tuberculosis Research, Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions
- Human Performance Laboratory, Skidmore College
- Human Performance Laboratory, University of Connecticut
- Editorial Associate, Journal of Strength & Conditioning Research
- Reviewer (multiple journals)
- Management in health- and research- related positions
- American Physiological Society
- American College of Sports Medicine
- New England Chapter, American College of Sports Medicine
- National Strength and Conditioning Association