Externships are experiential learning opportunities offered to give students short-term practical experiences in their field, or a related field of study. This short-term work immersion allows students to observe professionals on the job and gain a hands-on understanding of an industry or career track. Students engage with an employer-partner during interim periods over winter break or during spring break. The length of an externship ranges from one day of job-shadowing, to one week of deeper engagement in the workplace.
While an externship is a short term opportunity, it allows for long-term benefits. Externships are designed to lead to meaningful networking with employers, which in turn, leads to internships, co-ops or employment. Externships are noncredit, and there is no fee for participating.
Student Externship Timeline:
• Applications Due – Monday, February 9th
• Applicants will receive confirmation of their application and will be notified if they were selected to participate and if a match was found for them. (Students are encouraged to find their own matches if they have connections within their personal network)
• Externship Orientation – Tuesday March 3rd at 5pm
• Find out Externship placement and dates of participation
• Sign participation agreement (this will take place during orientation)
• Participate in the Externship experience - date will vary depending on placement, but students will be at their externship between March 9th through 13th (2015)
*Externships can be anywhere between 1 day to 5 days
Requirements for Participation:
• Open to all students, but most beneficial to Freshmen and Sophomores
• Using Advantage, submit a resume and application describing your interest area(s). Participation is selective, and determined by quality of resume and career interests/opportunities
• If selected, students must participate in an orientation session (Tentatively taking place on December 4th at 5pm)
• At conclusion, students are required to complete a reflection/evaluation
Students, if you have questions please contact Sarah Mackler at email@example.com or 978-837-5589.
Employers, please direct your questions to Stephen Maser at firstname.lastname@example.org or 978-837-5461.
How to Apply
Applications for the Externship Experience are due by Monday, February 9, 2015.