Skip to main content area Skip to main navigation Skip to institutional navigation Skip to footer

O’Brien Center for Student Success

Financing Your Graduate Education

Tips for Financing Graduate Education

  • Research financial assistance options early.
  • Speak with financial aid office at institutions you are applying to and to current students in the programs.
  • Determine requirements, procedures, and deadline for assistantships and work study.
  • GAPSFAS and FAFSA are often required. (As a graduate student, you family’s income will no longer be used to calculate federal aid).
  • Consider the advantage, disadvantages, and need to work during graduate school. You can consider working and studying part time for some programs.
Several types of Assistantships may be available via application or as part of financial aid package:
  • Teaching Assistant (TA) – present lectures, grade papers and exams, tutor students and provide other course related assistance.
  • Research Assistant (RA) – work with professors on their research.
  • Administrative Fellow or Graduate Assistant – work at administrative offices such as academic advising or admissions.
  • Residential Assistants – work in university housing.
All of the above positions may be limited in number and PhD candidates may have preference.
  • Departmental Fellowships/Scholarships may also be available. These awards may or may not require the student to work in return for funding, may pay a stipend, and may include tuition and health coverage.